Liberalised electricity markets open up many new opportunities but also present a number of challenges. Understanding this dynamic environment, its complexities, risks and uncertainties, is central to our research agenda.
We investigate issues of market design and competition within the context of wider challenges such as climate change and energy security.
Topics in this area include:
- Market design for efficient investment in balancing and wholesale markets, generation, and low-carbon technologies
- Obstacles to competition and design of strategies to mitigate market power
- The changing role of regulation and competition policy in liberalised markets
- Retail competition and its impact on consumers
- Restructuring and reforming electricity industries in other countries